Knowledgebase: Windows Tools and Information
Posted by _Liz G., Last modified by George M. on 20 April 2017 06:41 PM
The Disk Cleanup is a Windows utility that helps you free up space on your hard disk by searching your disk for files that can safely be deleted. You can choose to delete some or all of the files. Use Disk Cleanup to perform any of the following tasks to free up space on your hard disk:
Follow the steps listed below in order to run the Disk Cleanup utility:
1. Press and Hold the Windows Key and tap the R key release both keys at the same time.
2. A Run dialogue box will appear. When it does, please delete the existing text in the box.
3. Type cleanmgr.exe in the run dialogue box and then click OK.
4. The Disk Cleanup dialogue box will appear indicating "Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free up on OSDISK (C:)" and when the progress bar completes it will provide you a list of check boxes. Occasionally, you may be asked to select the drive to scan. If this question is presented choose drive "C:" and then click OK.
Make sure all of the following, and only the following boxes are checked/selected:
You must be logged in as administrator to run this program. Otherwise you will get an error indicating you have insufficient permissions to clean up system files.
5. Click the OK button. You may be prompted asking if you are sure you want to perform the action. If you do get prompted Click Delete Files.
Disk Cleanup is complete when the progress screen disappears.
For further assistance -
Additional user information may be found via the StopSign KNOWLEDGE BASE.